Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Mallards look for sweep of Honkers

After last night's thrilling walk-off win, the Madison Mallards are set tonight to face the Rochester Honkers for the second game of their two-game set at the Duck Pond.

I wasn't sure what it would be like covering the Mallards this summer for a couple of reasons.

First, I didn't know until yesterday afternoon if I would be able to get into the game or not due to some communication issues with the staff. Second, as much as I enjoy baseball, I've never covered it for the newspaper before.

Finally, the Mallards are in an interesting limbo between professional and collegiate ball — it's officially referred to as a minor league internship — and I wasn't sure how much access I would have to the players and coaches.

Well, after last night's game I realized I enjoy covering the team as much if not more than any team at the University of Wisconsin. Perhaps this is because I have no school- or fraternity- or work-related responsibilities interfering with my ability to cover games and write stories at midnight or later.

Or maybe it's because I love baseball so much and now I know I want to be a baseball writer someday.

The first pitch is still three hours away and I won't be leaving for Warner Park for at least 1 1/2 hours, but I'm excited for tonight. Witnessing the first walk-off home run in Mallards history is something I won't soon forget, regardless of whether or not I was able to cheer for Harold Riggins and the Mallards as the celebrated.

Tonight's matchup features a pair of Big Ten hurlers with Purdue's Matt Jansen taking the hill for the Mallards and Zach Robertson of Iowa getting the nod for the Honkers.

Each pitcher started their team's respective season opener. Jansen took the loss against Alexandria, allowing four runs in five innings, and Robertson delivered an impressive six-inning shut out performance in Rochester's 5-3 win over Mankato.

Check back here or at The Badger Herald later tonight or tomorrow morning for a recap of tonight's action.

No comments: